Monday, August 23, 2010

Your first impression of me

Hello Internets! We have had quite the one-sided relationship for a while. But no more! I will tell you how I feel weekly about things I am interested in like fashion news, fashion magazine critiques, stuff I buy and stuff I look at... You should be interested in reading these things internets because I have 28 years of experience in these issues (yes issues). And yes, 28. Ok maybe more like 25. Let me explain...

Since I could draw, I started drawing princess dresses which included embellishments such as bows, ribbons and sometimes outlandish things like candles! The dresses looked more like birthday cakes. In the stores I was also somewhat of a fashion maven. Of course the final decision came from Mommy. And we have never agreed on this issue. I remember a smart little dress I liked. Kind of looked like a little girl version of a secretary or librarian. But it was DRY CLEAN ONLY. Three words that makes my Mother scream in agony.

Fast foward about 10 years to the day my Aunt introduced me to fashion or women's magazines. I remember her giving me a Cosmopolitan one day. I didn't quite care about the "how to own your man in bed" articles but the pictures of amazing clothes I had never seen until that day mesmerized me. I had found what it meant to fantasize about what one day I could one day buy and wear. Although that was the early 90s and I haven't bought a skin-tight bright pink mini dress yet.

From that day and through my teens I have been obssessed with fashion magazines. The addiction began with YM. I believe it was Young & Modern? Anyways, I remember I would stop at the Mac's Milk before school and peruse the magazine racks for new fashion mags. If I saw what looked like a new YM peeking through the other whatever magazines, my heart raced a little.

This addiction carried though from High School to College where I took fashion merchandising. This meant I was REQUIRED to buy fashion mags. I was somewhat content you could say. I used these mags to finish school projects. So reading and looking through the pages was studying.

And now today... I don't buy as many magazines because I am a little bit wiser to the fashion world. I don't quite care today as much about trends or "top ten things i should buy this fall". I make my own fashion rules. Coming from different inspirations of course. But this comes more today from some star idols, my friends and the streets.

Nowadays when I buy a magazine, it's more for the eye candy. And the critiques. And this is wear this blogs comes in!

I would say that 90% of fashion today is ugly bullshit. Ugly fashion thanks to the likes of stores such as American Apparel where ugly fashion is good fashion.

And fashion magazines arne't what they used to be. Another reason I don't buy them as much is because they are BORING. Vogue has lost it's edge. The new September issue has a ho-hum picture of Halle Berry. Sure she's pretty and she has worn some amazing stuff but the cover is pretty much just of her face and shoulders and she's smiling. There is nothing interesting about it. It's just a pretty picture of some actress who doesn't really do anything interesting.

But there should still be some good about fashion. So that's where I come on. I am going to sift out the bores from the new and exciting based on what i think!

So that's it internets. I hope this new two-sided relationship lasts. I hope i don't mess it up and you leave me. Because internets, i love you.

Love,
L.A.M.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment